Thursday, October 7, 2010

Organs for Sale?


Should individuals have the right to sell his or her organs?  Personally I don’t think that they should be able to.  I think that putting organs on the free market could cause chaos among the people.  Sure there may be some benefits but in reality, it would probably just result in only the wealthy people getting access to these organs and the poor people selling them.  This concept is not fair for the poorer people who cannot afford to outbid others for a needed body part.  Also, I don’t think people should be bought and sold, that whole idea kind of freaks me out.  After reading Martin Wilkinson’s news editorial Organs for Sale, I agree with certain opinions that Wilkinson expresses.  This editorial did not necessarily change my opinion as a whole on the matter, but I can relate where he comes from with respect to most of his opinions.  I agree with the fact that once money is involved more people will be willing to donate, giving more people a chance for a transplant.   Also I agree with his views on the altruistic issue.  I think what drives a lot of people to donate organs is the self satisfaction of doing a selfless deed.  By placing a price tag on the organ they are "donating" does not make the situation the same, some could say it actually violates the whole idea.  Wilkinson states that, it is the person’s choice what they do with their body.  Having stated that, whether I agree or disagree on this matter is irrelevant.  There would be a bigger problem in America if organ donation were legalized based on this statement, it would be the issue of abortion.  If the sale of organs were legalized, the next problem to deal with would be, why isn't abortion legalized?   This would cause a huge uproar!   

No comments:

Post a Comment